[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL drivers written in Python

Knut-Frode Dagestad knutfrodesoppel at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:03:24 EDT 2011

Antonio,

On 06.04.2011 13:09, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> I'm not sure to understand. GDAL reads data from the product. If the
> product is not geo-referenced you will get data that are not
> geo-referenced.
>
> In this case you could use GDAL tools to interpolate data in a
> geographic grid but you need to know geographic info and/or parameters
> that are stored in the product itself.
>
> In the case of ENVISAT product (but for stripline ones #3160) you
> should be able to perform the re-projection e.g. using gdalwarp with
> the -tps option (I never tested it personally).

It could be that I do not properly understand the term "georeferenced".
For the example of Envisat ASAR, the image data is read perfectly, and
also GCP's are read relating rows and columns to latitude and longitude
(though not correct, #3709).
When the datum is given (WGS84) should this product then not be
georeferenced?

Nevertheless, Envisat is marked as not georeferenced in the table of
supported raster formats, and reprojecting with gdalwarp does also not
work for me.

>> Finally, we would also ideally like to have immediate (pre release)
>> support for upcoming satellites such as the ESA Sentinel satellites.
>
> This is very interesting.
> Can you point me to product specifications of Sentinel data?

I have not looked at this yet, but is seems like the format for
Sentinel-1 will be Geotiff and XML, so it should then not be a problem
at all:
http://www.terrafirma.eu.com/Documents/Workshops/WS%206/ESA%20SAR%20Products%20for%20Interferometry.pdf

Best regards from Knut-Frode