[gdal-dev] Problems building GDAL 1.8.0 from sources

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:01:35 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I try to build GDAL 1.8.0 under Salckware 13.1 with GRASS support.
As first step I build GDAL without GRASS support with this options
./configure --prefix=/usr \
  --exec-prefix=$PKG/usr \
  --with-pymoddir=/usr/lib/python/site-packages \
  --with-libtiff=/usr/lib \
  --with-geotiff=/usr/lib \
  --with-geos=yes \
  --with-jasper=yes \
  --with-sqlite3=/usr \
  --with-poppler=yes \
  --with-static-proj4 \
  --with-python \
  --program-prefix= \
  --program-suffix= \
  --build=$CHOST-slackware-linux

With this options GDAL uses system (external) libs and libtiff without BigTIFF
LIBTIFF support:           external (BigTIFF=no)

But ./configure script can't find SQLite

checking for sqlite3_open in -lsqlite3... no
checking for SQLite3 library >= 3.0.0... disabled

SQLite 3.6.23.1 installed and all libs and includes available.
I think this is because libdl - the dynamic linker library don't
automatically supported on Slackware. This is first issue.

Ok, I build GDAL without SQLite, then I build and install
GRASS 6.4.1RC1. Now when I try to configure GDAL
with GRASS as
./configure --prefix=/usr \
  --exec-prefix=$PKG/usr \
  --with-pymoddir=/usr/lib/python/site-packages \
  --with-libtiff=/usr/lib \
  --with-geotiff=/usr/lib \
  --with-geos=yes \
  --with-jasper=yes \
  --with-sqlite3=/usr \
  --with-poppler=yes \
  --with-grass=/usr/grass-6.4.1RC1 \
  --with-static-proj4 \
  --with-python \
  --program-prefix= \
  --program-suffix= \
  --build=$CHOST-slackware-linux

I get strange output about libtiff support
LIBTIFF support:           external (BigTIFF=yes)

Strange, previous build have BigTIFF=no...
Also building with this config failed with errors

geotiff.cpp: In member function ‘virtual CPLErr
GTiffRasterBand::SetColorTable(GDALColorTable*)’:
geotiff.cpp:1383: error: ‘TIFFUnsetField’ was not declared in this scope
geotiff.cpp: In member function ‘void GTiffDataset::WriteGeoTIFFInfo()’:
geotiff.cpp:4183: error: ‘TIFFUnsetField’ was not declared in this scope
geotiff.cpp: In static member function ‘static int
GTiffDataset::WriteMetadata(GDALDataset*, TIFF*, int, const char*,
const char*, char**, int)’:
geotiff.cpp:4635: error: ‘TIFFUnsetField’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [../o/geotiff.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/txz/gdal-1.8.0/frmts/gtiff'
make[1]: *** [gtiff-install-obj] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/txz/gdal-1.8.0/frmts'
make: *** [frmts-target] Error 2

Any thoughts why this happens and how can be fixed?

Thanks
--
Alexander Bruy