[gdal-dev] GeoTiff and the 4th band

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Apr 18 04:56:51 EDT 2011

Selon Nicolas Mayer <nmayer31000 at gmail.com>:

Retry by setting the PHOTOMETRIC creation option to MINISBLACK. Otherwise, by
default, without specifying it, GDAL assumes that the PHOTOMETRIC is RGB and
that the 4th band is an alpha band.

You should get :
Band 1 Block=100x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Gray
Band 2 Block=100x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
Band 3 Block=100x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
Band 4 Block=100x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined

There's no way in the TIFF format to really specify the color interpretation of
each band. The way GDAL builds the color interpretation when reading a TIFF file
is a combination of the value of the PHOTOMETRIC and EXTRASAMPLES tag.