[gdal-dev] gdal_translate segfault with large netCDF

Josh.Vote at csiro.au Josh.Vote at csiro.au
Tue Apr 19 05:01:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm new to GDAL so please forgive any glaring ignorance :)

Currently I have an 8GB ER Mapper (ERS) dataset that I want to convert to a NetCDF file with gdal_translate which always results in a segfault when using the following command.

gdal_translate -of netCDF input.ers output.nc

Whereas translating only a small <4B subset of the dataset works fine.

Now I've been doing a bit of reading and I know that netcdf 3.6.2 and below doesn't support variables greater than 4GB however I've been doing the translations with the Debian libnetcdf6 package (which I believe includes netCDF 4.1.1 and running 'ncgen -version' confirms this). I am operating under the impression that netCDF 4.1.1 should be able to handle netCDF files of this size without trouble.

Now I've tested gdal_translate from a variety of builds and they all produce the same problem

*         gdal-trunk revision 22206 - built from source

*         gdal 1.8 - built from source

*         Using the Debian stable/testing gdal-bin binary packages which bundle gdal 1.6.3-4 and gdal 1.7.3-2 respectively.
Am I doing anything wrong/operating under incorrect pretenses regarding netCDF > 4GB files or is this a genuine problem with gdal_translate? Also are there any logs I could examine for more information?

Thanks for any help
Josh Vote