[gdal-dev] dev-version of HDF4

Knut-Frode Dagestad knutfrodesoppel at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 19 13:24:24 EDT 2011

I am trying to compile GDAL from source with support for HDF4 with:

./configure --with-hdf4

but get complaints about missing libraries, see extract from config.log:

ld: library not found for -lmfhdfalt
ld: library not found for -lmfhdf
ld: library not found for -lhdf4
ld: library not found for -lmfhdf
configure:19940: checking for SDreaddata in -lmfhdf
configure:19965: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lmfhdf -ldf -lsz
-ljpeg -lz -lz -lpthread -ldl  >&5
ld: library not found for -lmfhdf
configure:20009: error: HDF4 support requested with arg "yes", but
neither hdf4 nor mfhdf lib found

Similar errors are also reported by others, e.g. this one using
mapserver:
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/cannot-find-lmfhdf-td5286909.html

I have tried with various versions of HDF4, both binaries and compiled
from source. The link above (and also
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingOnUnix) suggests to try a
"hdf-dev" version. But where can I find such "dev-versions", in my case
for Mac OS X 10.6.7?

Would it be possible to update GDAL to work with standard HDF4 libraries?

Best regards from Knut-Frode