[gdal-dev] geotiff conflict

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Wed Apr 27 03:50:50 EDT 2011

> Note that it will sacrify binary compatibility against casual builds.
> You will need to build against the Debian version of GDAL, not third
> parties builds.

For casual builds, we have another solution : don't use
hide-internal-symbols, and install the tiff/geotiff headers from gdal
source tree. Our configuration process manages the fact that libgdal.so
can be also the geotiff and tiff library. By the way, it is currently
the only option available to have a TIFF-capable OTB on a Debian system.

Anyway, IMHO, it seems relevant to include this build option upstream.
If I build gdal myself, I would probably like to benefit from this, as
long as the linker I use support the feature.
In the doc, they even give the code snippet to integrate to
configure.ac, and say that the libdshconfig library implements the
configure-time check to state if the OS supports it.

What are the reasons not to do so ?

Thanks again,
Julien