[gdal-dev] Compilation of gdal for reading hdf4 with python

firetry spectre at posteo.de
Wed Aug 3 11:54:12 EDT 2011

Hi everybody

I am trying to get python reading some hdf scenes from the fengyun
satellites. I hope gdal can do this task, but so far I never worked with
gdal nor ever compiled a library on my own.
Maybe there is someone to whom it would be not much of an afford to post (or
point me to) a step by step instruction? The instructions I found on the web
are rather confusing.

En bref:
I am using Win7 x64, Pyton 2.6 with spyder, VisualStudio2008... I want to
compile gdal so it can be used by python for reading hdf4 files.

That would be a great thing and probably many other newbies could benefit.