[gdal-dev] Re: Wildfire mapping

Mark Zaller (AerialFireTech) mszaller at aerialfiretech.org
Tue Aug 16 13:40:32 EDT 2011

Peter & Brent,
Thanks. Some of those are new to me & very interesting.

I'm currently preparing the proposal to NASA. It's due in a few weeks with
phase 1 project planning to be awarded by end of year, and hard
development (phase 2) starting next summer.

Automating what the current system already does well, will be tough as you
say. Hopefully some of the existing projects you point to will
help.  Several military contractors (2D3 & ENVI) have good capabilities, but
I want to evaluate an open-source approach so it could be available to more
firefighters (and other disaster management, environmental monitoring, etc.)
in other countries without onerous licensing, costs & export processes.

If anyone would like more info please call or write. Conducting an
online presentation could be interesting if desired, and someone knows how
to make that happen.

-Mark Zaller - (408) 623-4303,
www.AerialFireTech.<http://www.aerialfiretech.org/>
org <http://www.aerialfiretech.org/>