[gdal-dev] How would I build a custom pyramid ?

christian.mueller at nvoe.at christian.mueller at nvoe.at
Mon Aug 22 08:04:03 EDT 2011

Zitat von Alain Camus <aca at ngi.be>:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a set of tiles at resolution 0.5 m/pxl. Based on this data,
> I'd like to create a pyramid that has zoom levels 0.166667,
> 0.333333, 0.666667 and 1.66667 (the data will only be viewed in
> geoserver at these levels, so I guess it will be faster if I prepare
>  the data at these levels).

Geoserver will rescale your raster data depending on the envelope in
world coordinates and the pixel dimensions. It es very unlikely that a
request needs one of your precalculated resolutions. Pyramids lower
the amount of calculations giving you a better response time. Within
geoserver, pyramids are hidden. you see only one layer, the logic
chooses the best fitting pyramid level and does the required
calculations.

I would try a gdal_retile job with 10 pyramids and look at the result
in geoserver. A zoom level of 2 means that 4 pixels are reduced to 1
pixel. The 10th pyramid reduces a 1024x1024 pixel area to one pixel.

Cheers
Christian