[gdal-dev] gdal_translate gif->gtiff conversion

Dori izzybitsie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 14:23:18 EDT 2011

Hi,
I am trying to convert a GIF image into a GeoTiff image.
Input GIF image information:
Projection: Polar Stereographic from North Pole, Cente meridian=97W,
Height=0
Corners' Lower Left 19.9N 119.6W, Upper Right: 44.5N 59.5W

FWTools_2.0.6 commands used.
I used these commands to convert the map from GIF -> GeoTiff
# Convert lat/lon corner points to X/Y points
cs2cs +proj=latlon +to +proj=stere +lat_0=90 +lon_0=-97 -r <<EOF
>./pts_stere_xy.dat
+46.4  -140.0
+21.4 -79.0
EOF
# Following points created by previous command cs2cs
ulx=-3484887.50
uly=-3737084.31
lrx=2686546.21
lry=-8268339.04

ifn=my_image.gif
ofn=US_SIGWX_LOWLVL_SFC-400_PIXEL.tif
gdal_translate -of GTiff -co PROFILE=GeoTIFF -co INTERLEAVE=PIXEL -a_srs '
+proj=stere +lat_0=90 +lon_0=-97' -a_ullr $ulx $uly $lrx $lry $ifn $ofn

ISSUES:
The GeoTiff image obtained can be viewed using Openev but  the lat/lon
points don't look right(Used geodetic lat/lon preference to read lat/lon).
I was not able to view the image using Udig.

Images uploaded:

GIF map: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31095936/my_image.gif

GeoTiff map:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31095936/US_SIGWX_LOWLVL_SFC-400_PIXEL.tif

Q1: Could somebody let me know what I am doing wrong when creating the
geotiff with wrong lat/lon points?
Q2: Does anyone know why I am not able to see it using Udig?

Thank you