[gdal-dev] using GDALGridCreate in python?

Matt Funk matze999 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:57:34 EDT 2011

On 8/30/2011 1:39 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Le mardi 30 août 2011 21:28:11, Matt Funk a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> i have several satellite scenes which basically give me 3 vectors:
>> lat/lon/data which is on an irregular. I would like to interpolate those
>> onto a regular grid. I found that GDALGridCreate would meet my need
>> except that i am developing in python, but it appears the bindings for
>> it don't exist (unless i am mistaken).
>> So my question is whether someone knows of an alternative route to
>> accomplish this or whether i am possible wrong in that i cannot use
>> GDALGridCreate in python?
> Yes, you cannot use GDALGridCreate() in python. It has only been mapped to
> Java bindings for now. You can as a workaround for a process with the
> gdal_grid utility.
I have never used the gdal_grid utility. Outside of its manpage
(http://www.gdal.org/gdal_grid.html) i haven't found any usage examples.
As far as inputs are concerned it talks about csv file. Are there other
input formats. Is there a list of options?
Also, this might be a dumb question, but would it be of any value to
call the compiled c-gdal library directly from my python code?

matt