[gdal-dev] Call to users and devs - ESRI .prj files needed for testing

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:48:27 EST 2011

Hi all,

As an ongoing effort to improve ESRI .prj file compatibility, I am
respectfully calling all users and devs to help in providing or
pointing to existing .prj files (in ESRI WKT format).

Specifically, I am working on improving support for TOWGS84 parameter
which is absent from ESRI .prj files , but there are probably other
things that need fixing also.
See this bug: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4345 [reprojection
using ESRI .prj files is not accurate - missing TOWGS84]

Anyone who has experienced similar issues are encouraged to add
information to that bug report, or create a new one if they experience
other compatibility problems with ESRI WKT.

A related issue is how to find EPSG codes for GEOGCS, PROJCS and other
items (such as DATUM and SPHEROID) from incomplete WKT (such as ESRI
WKT).
Any hints and example files related to that are also welcome.

Regards,
Etienne