[gdal-dev] Editing KML files using ogr_csharp.dll

Pouliot, Christopher (DNR) Christopher.Pouliot at state.mn.us
Mon Dec 5 09:50:42 EST 2011

Hello All,

I have a C# application that uses OGR_CSHARP.DLL to read/write KML files.  I'm able to read from KML files fine.  I'm able to create a new KML file and write to it fine.  I am unable, however, to open a KML file to edit.  I'd like to be able to append a new layer (folder) onto an existing KML file.  I've tried both of the following code snippets:

//This returns NULL
OSGeo.OGR.Driver drv = Ogr.GetDriverByName("KML");
DataSource ds = drv.Open("c:\\temp\\mykml.kml", 1);

//This returns NULL
DataSource ds = Ogr.Open("c:\\temp\\mykml.kml", 1);

I'm able to use this code to edit File Geodatabases and Shapefiles but not KML.

Also, when creating a KML file from scratch is there a way to map the Name and Description fields to my existing fields so that the Name and Description appear in Google Earth?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Pouliot
GIS Application Developer
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
christopher.pouliot at state.mn.us
(651) 259-5491