[gdal-dev] Motion: Authorize Islandwood Funding for Brian Case

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 14 02:03:51 EST 2011

Motion: The GDAL PSC authorizes funding up to US$525 to pay entrance fees
to the Islandwood Code Sprint for Brian Case.

-----

Brian (aka winkey) has done lots of work in recent years on and with
GDAL/OGR.  Most notably he has developed the libkml based OGR KML driver.

Brian lives relatively near the Islandwood sprint and would arrange to get
himself there and other ancillary costs.  We would just be paying the
entrace fees (which also implicitly covers housing and food).  Information
on the Islandwood Sprint (successor to the Toronto, NYC and Montreal sprints
of recent years) is available at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IslandWood_Code_Sprint_2012

I'm afraid I haven't done a detailed financial review of GDAL/OGR project
funds but I think we have in excess of $10K in reserve so this is a modest
expenditure, and I think can serve the community building goals of the project
well.  I think we should also be open to similar support for other substantial
contributors to GDAL/OGR who don't have corporate travel support, who would
like to attend the sprint, and who would be able to get themselves there.
However, that is not explicitly covered by this motion.

--

I'll start with +1 Frank.

PS. I'd love to make a new batch of GDAL project tshirts in the coming
year if someone is up to organizing.