[gdal-dev] gdal_translate and TIFF resolutions(?)

Mike O'Malley mike.omalley at nextcentury.com
Thu Dec 15 15:50:55 EST 2011

Hi,

   I'm using gdal_translate to chip out TIFFs from a NITF using the
command line:

gdal_translate -ot Int32 -of Gtiff  -strict  -outsize 3000 3000 -srcwin
0 0 3000 3000 c:\data\image.ntf c:\data\output_image.tiff

   Tiffinfo (which throws an error) has a problem with the resolution
field- the x and y resolutions seem to be unset.  Irfanview will display
the image, but also shows the resolution to be blank.  When I modify the
resolution within Irfanview, I'm able to load the image using any app-
paint.net, photoshop, MS Paint, programmatically with OpenCV, etc.

   How can I force gdal_translate to set that resolution field?  I'm not
a TIFF expert, but it seems like it would be a standard field if
tiffinfo throws an error when it's not populated.

   Thanks,

                Mike