[gdal-dev] Licensing Policy for drivers and applications

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Feb 1 01:49:19 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 08:59:25PM -0800, Ray Gardener wrote:
> I should ask, is it okay for commercial apps to include GPL'd drivers
> currently? What would happen if my app included one? Do I have to wait
> for it to be under LGPL?
>
> I don't mind at all sharing any changes I may make to such drivers, but
> if I can't even include the drivers, that seems excessive.

You can include the drivers, and your application can be commercial.
Only, you have to give your customers the rights to get your
application's source code, to modify it and to redistribute it.

If you don't want to do that, ask the GPL driver copyright holders
if they agree on you putting the code they allowed you to use,
look at, modify and distribute into something they can NOT look at,
modify or distribute.

Sounds kind of unfair to me, but they may have a different opinion
(or business plan) on the matter.

--strk;