[gdal-dev] Licensing Policy for drivers and applications

Ray Gardener rayg at daylongraphics.com
Tue Feb 1 11:04:59 EST 2011

Oh man. So over time, as more GPL'd drivers are written, the very
purpose of GDAL gets watered down. It's not like people are going to
develop MIT-licenced drivers if they see an existing GPL driver that
does the job. At the very least, the motivation will be blunted.

The whole reason I went with GDAL was that it was reasonable in regards
to commercial devs. Now there's going to be a situation where they get
increasingly treated as second-class citizens.

It's unreasonable to disclose a large application just because drivers
are GPL'd. It should be submission policy to GDAL that they're LGPL'd.
Frank's gone to the trouble of creating an environment that is
commercial agnostic, and now it's being undone.

Ray