[gdal-dev] error adding ecw on Ubuntu 10.4 (lucid)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 11:29:44 EST 2011

On 11-02-07 11:18 AM, Matt Wilkie wrote:
>> Perhaps try setting the environment variable GDAL_DRIVER_PATH to
>> /usr/lib/gdal17plugins
>
> Ok, that finally did the trick. Thanks for your help.
>
> $ export GDAL_DRIVER_PATH=/usr/lib/gdal17plugins
>
> Is this normally set as part of the install? (e.g. should I report a
> packaging bug?)

Matt,

No, this is not normally set for prepackaged GDAL's on linux.  On linux
GDAL defaults to looking in /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins.  It is possible
to set the GDAL_PREFIX to change the default from /usr/local to /usr for
instance, but this is not apparently something the makefiles help with
as far as I can see.

Note that in 1.9 (aka trunk) GDAL now looks in /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/1.9
before looking in /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins so embedding the version in
the directory name is no longer needed.