[gdal-dev] Read and Write ArcGIS Bynary GRID

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Feb 7 12:30:33 EST 2011

Jorge,

> Hello,
>
>          Using GDAL library is posible to read and write ArcGIS binary
GRID files?

I generally work with GRID files in GRASS.  As mentioned before, gdal (
r.in.gdal in this case) imports the GRID layers fine.  To export back to
ArcGIS, I use the r.out.arc command,
http://grass.fbk.eu/grass65/manuals/html65_user/r.out.arc.html , in GRASS
to create an ESRI ASCII GRID file.

        You can then import that back into ArcGIS.  Bear in mind that if
you are a 32-bit windowsXP platform you will not be able to import a text
file larger than 43? GB ( Frank?) in size due to the limitations of the
WindowsXP 32 bit filesystem.  I have successfully imported data ESRI ASCII
GRID files to ArcGIS up to 60GB in size on a computer running WindowsXP 64
bit with ArcGIS 9.3.1.  Email me directly if you need further info.

 Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.