[gdal-dev] Best practices for concurrent writes with GDAL (was RasterIO in paralel)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 8 18:40:34 EST 2011

On 11-02-08 05:58 PM, Francis Markham wrote:
> Ouch, I guess I'll be slicing and mosaicing, sending all my data across the
> network, or looking for another IO library.  Which approach would you
> recommend?  Are you aware if any of the major non-GDAL libraries for popular
> formats (e.g. libgeotiff) support concurrent writes?
>
> -Francis

Francis,

Note that the core problem with writing relates to the shared block
cache amoung datasets, and problems with ensuring that flushes occur
in the appropriate thread.

So, with some care you could in theory write from multiple threads,
but you would need to ensure that you never fill the block cache
triggering block writes due to cache fullness.

Using Libtiff/libgeotiff directly will also avoid this problem.

Best regards,