[gdal-dev] Large ERDAS Imagine .img Files (HFA) Workaround

Roland Duhaime roland.duhaime at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:10:56 EST 2011

I am using gdal2tiles under OSGEO4W.  I use both gdal16 and gdal17.

When I have a large HFA file I am not able to use gdal2tiles to process this
file.  These large .img (HFA) files have a spill file with a .ige
extension.  I receive an error similar to:

0ERROR 4: Unable to open external data file:z38null_rgb.ige (Note that this
is not a name I specified)

My source .img file has a name simlar to:
cape_impervious_mosaic_setnull_rgb.img

As a workaround I rename just the Erdas Spill file to z38null_rgb.ige and
the gdal2tiles command runs without error.

Thanks,

Roland