[gdal-dev] GetProjectionRef() difference 1.8 vs 1.7.2

cobalto scott.a.merritt at navy.mil
Mon Feb 14 12:47:11 EST 2011

Migrating from GDAL 1.7.2 to GDAL 1.8.0, I noticed that
GDALDataset::GetProjectionRef() now returns an empty string "" on some cases
where it previously returned an informative WKT string.
The file I initially noticed this on was a 10Jan2009 Worldview image in NITF
format. The image has 2 subdatasets, one of which (NITF_IM:1) is a 90x87
thumbnail, the other (NITF_IM:0) is an ~35k x 34k single band image.

In GDAL 1.7.2, GetProjectionRef Produced an identical string for both
NITF_IM:0 and NITF_IM:1.
In GDAL 1.8.0, GetProjectionRef Produces an empty string for NITF_IM:0 and
the same string produced by 1.7.2 for NITF_IM:1.

Any ideas as to whether this is a design change or a bug? If design change,
what is the new best practice to retreive the projection for NITF_IM:0?