[gdal-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] OGR VRT ODBC connection problem

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 03:14:58 EST 2011

Brent,

    firstly, whilst SQLPLUS is a useful tool to ensure the Oracle environment is
correctly configured, it does not test ODBC - nor does the very much nicer, Java
based, SQL Developer, which is also not restricted to use with Oracle.

    Secondly, how many tables are there in your Oracle tablespace?  I currently
have around 70 or 80 and OGR takes forever to start.  OGR reads the schema for
every table in the tablespace, trying to identify the spatial tables and
pre-load the key data in readiness.  If you have a lot of tables, the
initialisation step may certainly seem to hang.

    Thirdly, enabling debug in GDAL will enable you to track a lot of what is
going on and should enable you to quickly determine what is causing the hang -
although fixing it may take rather more effort, of course.

    Lastly, I built GDAL against the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) libraries, not
ODBC: this connects to Oracle in a similar manner to that used by the Oracle
products and I find it to be fast and efficient.

Best wishes,

Peter

pcreso at pcreso.com wrote:
> Thanks Stephen,
>
> I should have included this in my first msg, apologies, but thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm running GDAL v1.6.1, from
> ogrinfo --version
> GDAL 1.6.1, released 2009/05/11
>

> And, running isql (from unixodbc) also works.
>
> isql --help
> unixODBC 2.2.12
>
> isql -v metp niwatest niwatest
> libnuma: Warning: /sys not mounted or no numa system. Assuming one node: No such file or directory
> +---------------------------------------+
> | Connected!                            |
> |                                       |
> | sql-statement                         |
> | help [tablename]                      |
> | quit                                  |
> |                                       |
> +---------------------------------------+
> SQL> select count(*) from land_station;
> +-----------------------------------------+
> | COUNT(*)                                |
> +-----------------------------------------+
> | 8338                                    |
> +-----------------------------------------+
>

> So isql succeeds, and is definately using ODBC.
>
> ogrinfo just hangs. Both have the /sys warning msg, which I am ignoring.
>

> I'm still lost with respect to this....
>

> Thanks,
>
>    Brent

Peter J Halls, GIS Advisor & Acting Team Leader Applications Support Group,
                Information Directorate, University of York
Telephone: 01904 323806     Fax: 01904 323740
Snail mail: C/O IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD
This message has the status of a private and personal communication