[gdal-dev] What is status of RFC23?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 24 10:28:18 EST 2011

On 11-02-24 09:05 AM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to find what's the actual status of the RFC 23 [1]
> The only reference I got so far is from its header:

> and 1.6.0 release notes [2]:
>
> "RFC 23: Preliminary support for character set transcoding
> (in OGR for now)."
>
> but what does it mean?
> What means preliminary and partially here?
>
> Are the functions like OGRFeature::SetField and GetFieldAsString()
> fully UTF-8 aware/enabled?
>
> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc23_ogr_unicode
> [2] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/Release/1.6.0-News

Mateusz,

The RFC is now mostly implemented.  Only recently the iconv() implemented
was integrated into CPLRecode().

Of course the RFC sets up the superstructure but does not guarantee that
all drivers return UTF8.  Skiming the code, it appears the dxf, GeoRSS,
GML, GPX, NAS, Postgres, SOSI, VRT (depending on underlying layer) and
WFS layers declare themselves with OLCStringsAsUTF8.

Of course other drivers may also be UTF8 but not fully declared.

What was listed in the RFC, but was not done, was UTF8 translation of
wide string fields in the ODBC driver, and support for recoding
from/to UTF8 in the Shapefile driver.

So in that sense it is still incomplete.