[gdal-dev] Re: What is status of RFC23?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 24 12:25:55 EST 2011

On 11-02-24 12:10 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Frank,
>
> It answers my question. Thanks.
>
> The RFC 30 states "GDAL uses UTF-8 encoding internally when working with
> strings". Does it mean functions like GDALGetDataTypeName are considered to
> return UTF-8? I understand that in this particular case, there is no
> difference between ANSI and UTF8 regarding "content" of the string, but I'm
> trying to learn if and how far the uniform pattern applies.

Mateusz,

I don't think you should take that statement to mean very much.  I think it
was just intended to convey that the string and stringlist attributes of
features would be treated as UTF-8 during internal processing.  That statement
might also have been left over from an earlier, broader version of the RFC.
In practice the RFC should only be taken to address string and stringlist
attributes of features.

Certainly it is my *intent* that essentially all strings in GDAL/OGR should
be handled as UTF-8.