[gdal-dev] RE: Mosaic the output of gdal2tiles (iomeneandrei)

iomeneandrei aborruso at tin.it
Tue Jan 4 05:53:51 EST 2011

Hi Stephen,
thank you for your reply.

Stephen Mather wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>      Probably the simplest way to handle this is with a virtual dataset.
> Rather than a direct mosaic, you create a virtual mosaic and then use
> gdal_translate to convert to a geotiff, e.g.

It seems to me (I'm not an expert) that gdalbuildvrt needs geospatial files
as source. The output of gdal2tiles are files and folders following OSGeo
Tile Map Service Specification. The single png created from gdal2tiles does
not contain any geospatial information. I know the bounding box of the
mosaic of my tiles, the SRS, and the resolution of every zoom level.
Then gdalbuildvrt - I think - is not able to associate any spatial
information to the single .png file I have, and it cannot build a virtual
image.

This is an example of the structure of the output files and folders of
gdal2tiles:
http://www.friendpaste.com/10wUZr6XB8SZqhuMYnCyhi

Thank you,

Andrea