Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:12:29 EST 2011

2011/1/5 Jason Roberts <jason.roberts at duke.edu>

> Right now, to install the latest GDAL for Python on Windows, the user has
> to download a zip file from http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/, drill in to find
> the Python files, copy them to C:\PythonXX\Lib\site-packages, drill into
> find the GDAL binaries and related files, copy them to a directory such as
> C:\GDAL, set the PATH and GDAL environment variables, and so on. And there
> are no obvious instructions anywhere about how to do this. Python
> programmers are programmers after all, so they can generally figure that out
> and accomplish it. But it is not what they are used to doing if they are a
> Windows programmer. This is why Chris basically says that he has to remember
> / relearn how to do it every time he upgrades GDAL.
>

> It would be really helpful to Windows Python programmers who want to use
> GDAL—probably a large number of potential GDAL users—for the GDAL team to
> offer installation via one or both of the mechanisms I mentioned above.

Jason,

Maybe this is due to my lack of knowledge in Python, but why is it a
requirement to place the files to such specific locations to run a python
app with gdal on Windows? As far as I remember setting up the following
environment variables properly (in a command prompt) does the right thing
from arbitrary locations (at least when running the autotest suite for
GDAL):

PROJ_LIB
GDAL_DRIVER_PATH
GDAL_DATA
PYTHONPATH
PATH

Certainly one should find out the location of the python.exe which might
also be included in PATH for convenience.

Best regards,

Tamas