Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 17:25:01 EST 2011

2011/1/6 Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>

> yup -- it seems long, descriptive file names would help, but that doesn't
> seem to be the Windows way...

It would be true, but it's not a common practice of the libraries currently
(assuming we keep the original dll name of each dependency). However we
could probably rename our custom dlls with a random name during the build
process. Pretty odd, but workable.

> so your gdal depends on Mono's zlib and Subversion's ssleay? that does seem
> fragile!

Or do you mean that you have these somewhere for gdal, and they are ALSO in
> those other locations?

I must say a common gdal build (either FWTools, OSGeo4w, ms4w whatever) may
use dll-s with the same names as many other libraries a user may install. In
my particular case mono and subversion is just a live example. but we could
find many others that use zlib libpng libcurl whatever (these are widely
used libraries in the world). I don't actually suffer from this problem
because I never rely on the PATH environment to load the GDAL dependencies
and I would evangelize against this practice when trying to find out a
reasonable setup approach here also.

Best regards,

Tamas