Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 6 17:49:19 EST 2011

On 11-01-06 05:10 PM, Jason Roberts wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for sharing your opinion. I do have one question that I hope you will
> weigh in on. Which of the following two options seems better to you:
>
> 1. The GDAL libraries (possibly accompanied with executable programs) are
> installed as a separately from the GDAL Python bindings. The libraries are
> installed to \Program Files as you describe and the Python bindings are
> installed in the standard Python location. A Windows Python programmer
> wanting to use GDAL would perform two installs: one for the GDAL libraries,
> the other for the bindings.
>
> 2. The GDAL Python bindings include a private copy of the GDAL libraries
> (with no executable programs). These are installed to a private subdirectory
> with the bindings. A Windows Python programmer wanting to use GDAL only
> needs to perform one install: the bindings.
>
> #1 is essentially how things are done now, just not following Windows best
> practices (not using \Program files) and without any automation to ease the
> process (no regularly maintained installer for the Python bindings).
>
> I was proposing #2, basically under the argument that a Windows Python
> programmer who needs to use GDAL will rarely ever need to use GDAL for some
> other purpose, and therefore not want to install and think about a separate
> installation of the GDAL libraries themselves. But if you don't believe
> that, or think it is important that the libraries remain distinct from the
> bindings in this scenario for some other reason, then we would appreciate
> your opinion.

Jason,

I don't have a strong position on this, but I would note that beyond
real Python programmers wanting to use the bindings, they are also needed
just to run the python commandline utilities (such as rgb2pct.py).  So
there is definately a large body of folks who would benefit from having
working python for the python utilities, and the regular commandline
executables.

Another benefit of even Python using GDAL from a standard location is
things like format plugins could be easily handled in one place.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I prefer even the Python
bindings to use the GDAL under \Program Files\GDAL.

If the Pythonistas really want to have their own copy of GDAL then
we really don't need to have this conversation.  They can do their
own thing, in their own place and there is no need for meaningful
cooperation with the core project.