Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Jan 7 15:19:02 EST 2011

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 07. Jan 2011 at 12:03:47 -0800, Christopher Barker wrote:
> On 1/6/11 8:23 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> You get a desktop link and a start menu entry that both opens a command line
>> window from where you can use GDAL

> very nice.

>> and start python with gdal available.

> what Python gets started? Can you start Python from any other command
> line and have it work, or do you need ENV VARS set up?

The python shipped with the installer (just like in OSGeo4W).

> On 1/7/11 2:26 AM, Tamas Szekeres wrote:
>> IMO, there are two primary goals of this packaging of GDAL: provide easy
>> access to just the GDAL command line utilities (separate from larger tool
>> suites such as FWTools and OSGeo4W), and provide the GDAL libraries in a
>> well-known location so they can be located by the various GDAL bindings. I
>> think a secondary goal is to provide GDAL libraries in a well-known location
>> for integration by arbitrary applications.

> good summary.

hm, just an idea - creatensis.pl could even be generized to pick an arbitrary
OSGeo4W package and produce a NSIS installer with all the necessary
dependencies (even as CGI - I created the package on Linux).

If the GDAL package in OSGeo4W did provide a desktop and start link and start
menu link the nsi wouldn't need to create those and the extra batch file could
be dropped.  So the current customization wouldn't be needed anymore.

That also would work for meta package (eg. something like gdal-min and
gdal-max).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden