[gdal-dev] OGR : Shapefile driver limits column name to 10 chars

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Jan 12 11:28:56 EST 2011

Selon Anders Moe <anders.moe at geocap.no>:

Try looking for "dbf field names limited to 10 characters" in your favorite
search engine and you should get the answer ;-)

The OGR shapefile driver mentions just before "Shapefile feature attributes are
stored in an associated .dbf file, and so attributes suffer a number of
limitations". That also gives you an hint on where the limitation comes from...