[gdal-dev] gdalwarp to VRT. How to set "-multi" option? How to get best performances when chaining gdal operations?

Daniele Romagnoli daniele.romagnoli at geo-solutions.it
Thu Jan 13 05:07:24 EST 2011

Hi list,
I have a thousand of file with SRS A which I will to mosaic, reproject to
SRS B and then retile (I will use GDAL 1.7.2).

What I will do is:
1- setting up a VRT using gdalbuildvrt on top of the original TIF files.
2- reprojecting it to an intermediary VRT using gdalwarp (to SRS B).
3- retiling the reprojected VRT as 32768x32768 (or something smallers)
geotiffs with gdal_retile by also adding JPEG compression, inner 512x512
tiling and bicubic interpolation on intermediate levels

How can I get best performances with this operations chaining?
>From [1], I see I can play with "--config GDAL_CACHEMAX xxxx -wm xxxx" when
invoking gdalwarp. (I will set GDAL_CACHEMAX as an environment var)
I see that the wm parameter as well as inner tiling are set on the
reprojected.vrt as GDALWarpOptions.
Is there a way to set the "-multi" parameter in the reprojected vrt too to
make use of this feature to separate thread for I/O and thread for
computation?

Regards,
Daniele

[1]: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/GdalWarp