[gdal-dev] mrsid nmake.opt

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 15:55:05 EST 2011

2011/1/13 Kirk McKelvey <kmckelvey at lizardtech.com>

> 3. Do we have a reason to include geotiff in the mrsid makefile?
>
> Yes – though the reason is obscure.  It is to build the mrsid driver as a
> plugin when linking against the MrSID SDK statically (e.g., older SDKs).
> Most of the GDAL symbols referenced from the MrSID SDK are satisfied by
> gdal18.dll on the plugin link line, but two symbols that it needs are not
> exported from gdal18.dll, namely _TIFFmemcpy and __geotiff_size.  The
> alternative to bringing in these symbols manually from the GDAL build or
> configured TIFF/GeoTIFF would be to link in gdal.lib statically, but that
> seemed heavy-handed.  If you have any better ideas, I am open to suggestion.

Kirk,

I don't think we will forcibly insist on linking to MrSID statically it
could probably be phased out in the future versions.

> 3. I would also require the dll names to be detected (MRSID_DLL, LIDAR_DLL)
>
> Yes I think this is a good addition – I am guessing it is to be able to
> install those DLLs?
>

> It would also be a good thing to detect the dll versions first if
> MRSID_RDLLBUILD and MRSID_LDLLBUILD are not specified. This doesn't seem to
> work according to the spec at the beginning of nmake.opt (with a preference
> for the DLL if both are found)
>
> I will double-check my logic in that section.  What specific MrSID DSDK
> version are you using?

I'm now woking with a modified version of your nmake.opt locally (thanks
again for providing that) so I'm not in sore need of committing this back in
GDAL. I'm using this option to compile and create an installer for the mrsid
part of GDAL and in this regard I require both the full path to the dll-s
and the name of the dll-s (since the names are changing between SDK
versions)

I'm compiling binaries with several compiler versions from MSVC2003 up to
MSVC2010 (Win32 and Win64). In this regard I'm using the following versions
of the SDKs:

for compiling with gdal 1.8:
Unified_DSDK_8.0_win64-vs10
Unified_DSDK_8.0_win32-vs10