[gdal-dev] accessing HDF5 metadata

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Wed Jan 26 03:48:54 EST 2011

Hi Ricardo,

Il giorno Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:20:50 +0000
Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da <ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com> ha
scritto:

> Hi list
> I am using the python bindings to handle some HDF5 data.
> Up until now I had been using another python module (pytables) to
> access the file's metadata and then GDAL to do some further
> processing, but I am trying to depend only on GDAL for this issue, as
> it seems it might be enough for the task I'm trying to perform.
>
> The problem: I can't seem to read the attributes of the root node in
> my HDF5 files, although I can access them at the band level.
> I've found a ticket[1] that is indirectly referring to this subject.
> However, I am not clear if the issue discussed in the ticket has been
> resolved (probably in the new GDAL 1.8) and wether its resolution
> would have the (great, at least for me) side-effect of allowing the
> displaying of attributes at the root node. I have posted an online[2]
> HDF5 file, in case it is helpful.
>
> Can someone please elaborate a bit on this matter? Thanks
>
> [1] - http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2412
> [2] - http://ubuntuone.com/p/a9z/

The ticket you mentioned includes a patch that probably provides the
functionality you are looking for but it is still not included in GDAL.

It would be nice if you could give it a try and report us if it
actually has the expected behavior or if you need something different.

Please let me know if the patch still applies clearly to the current
trunk or if it needs an update.

regards

--
Antonio Valentino