[gdal-dev] SDE Write forces a value into the FID Column

Craig Hunter craigrthunter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:48:52 EST 2011

Hi,

I've been working with the GDAL/OGR 1.7.3 release and writing geometries to
SDE when I ran into an issue.  The code forces a value into a SDE table's
primary key field by automatically incrementing records starting with the
value of 1.  I don't see this as a practical implementation because it only
works with an empty SDE layer when you initially load data.  It causes a
-51/Underlying DMBS error when you attempt to append data onto the layer if
those primary key values are in use, and prevents other implementations for
handling primary key generation.  I handle auto-population of a primary key
through a BIR (Before-Insert-Record) trigger by querying the next value from
an Oracle Sequence when a NULL value is encountered on the insert
statement.  I've commented out the parts of the code in my build, so as not
to force the FID column to have a value, but I think this should be adopted
by the SDE driver.

Thanks,

Craig.