[gdal-dev] Licensing Policy for drivers and applications

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Mon Jan 31 19:28:36 EST 2011

> then you can
> honestly claim that any violation happened beyond your control

...except that Frank is the principle organizer/maintainer behind
OSGeo4W as well as GDAL.

Not that this necessarily contravenes your main point, that since the
gray area is in o4w and not gdal that's where the license
agreeing/denying logic should take place.

I do hope this policy or something like it come to be, whether in gdal
or osgeo4w. I work in both worlds and a more easeful coexistence,
without obscuring or hiding the legal differences and responsibilities,
is welcome. Personally I don't see osgeo4w's bundling or the current RFC
under discussion to be much different from enabling Ubuntu's universe
and restricted-driver repositories.

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology