[gdal-dev] HDF5 product handling

Alex Mantaut alexmantaut at suremptec.com.ar
Mon Jul 4 08:52:15 EDT 2011

Hi all,
        I'm developing a modification on the hdf5imagedataset driver to get
Georreference and Geotransform information from COSMO-SKYMED product files
(COSMO-SKYMED hdf5 products are just hdf5 files with a specific format on
the metadata).

         I've allready managed to get both the georreference and the
geotransform information from the file, and I would like to include it into
the driver to make it part of GDAL (if it is usefull to the project)

        I would like to ask what would be the best way to implement a driver
that handles HDF5 subproducts, in a way that it doesn't interfere with the
behavior for hdf5 for files that ain't from any specific product type, and
allows to add new product types easly... (It's quite likely I will have to
add a new hdf5 product type soon)

       Because hdf5 products are just hdf5 files with a special order in the
metadata, I think that the code to interpret them should go in the
hdf5dataset (or hdf5imagedataset) to reuse the code that opens the files...
Is this okay?

       If the code for subproducts should go on the hdf5dataset (or
hdf5imagedataset)  I have a doubt about design...

       A way I thought to implement drivers for products is to create a
small module wich detects the subproduct type when opening the hdf5 file,
and creates an apropiate "subdriver" which will interpret the
Georrefrence and Georreference info, but that does nothing in case no
product type has been detected... This way every new hdf5 product type will
be a new class, and the product code will not pollute the driver's code. Is
this design ok? Or there is a better way to do this?

I will like to contribute with this code in a way that it will be usefull to
the project and that allows extension (if possible)

Any feedback will be welcomed, thanks in advance
Alex

     Alex Mantaut
SUR Emprendimientos Tecnológicos

Perú 345  Piso 5to Oficina "B" (C1067AAG)
Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel. +54 (11) 4342-2976/84
alexmantaut at suremptec.com.ar
www.suremptec.com