[gdal-dev] Creating modified copies of a file

Cole, Derek dcole at integrity-apps.com
Wed Jul 6 15:04:48 EDT 2011

Well, my plan originally was to create a Virtual Data set in memory, so that I could just write to the blocks while in memory before writing to disk. It seems like I may be just as well off to go ahead and create the copy, and then just overwrite the block in the copy.

I have tried to switch this back to a NITF driver instead of VRT.
 Do you see anything wrong with this:

    poDataset = (GDALDataset *) GDALOpenShared( myfile, GA_ReadOnly );

    poNITFDriver = (GDALDriver *)GDALGetDriverByName("NITF");
    GDALSetCacheMax(300);
    papszMetadata = poNITFDriver->GetMetadata();

    if( poNITFDriver == NULL )
        exit( 1 );

    char *message = "Copying Current File";
    char **papszOptions = NULL;

    papszOptions = CSLSetNameValue( papszOptions, "BLOCKXSIZE", "1024" );
    papszOptions = CSLSetNameValue( papszOptions, "BLOCKYSIZE", "1024" );
    poNITFDS = poNITFDriver->CreateCopy(pszDstFilename, poDataset, FALSE,  papszOptions, MyTextProgress, message);

As you can see, this would copy from  NITF to NITF, and use the same block size as my original NITF (1024^2), as well as setting the cache to 300 MB. This was something I read in an old thread you had posted to. I dont see any noticable improvement. Is 300MB enough? How is that calculated exactly?  According to that thread, it was image width * block height * 2*sizeof(unit16)

here is from the gdal info of my source file:

Size is 37504, 109324
Band 1 Block=1024x1024 Type=UInt16, ColorInterp=Gray

so it should be ~290MB right? I think uint16 is 4 bytes.

This is still taking hours to copy.

Thanks

Derek