[gdal-dev] Current status of Android port w/ SWIG bindings? Seeking and offering help.

Jim Pendleton jimp at ittvis.com
Fri Jul 15 14:57:39 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I'm new to GDAL, but I've taken on a task of extending some of our
GDAL-oriented tools that work in the desktop environment to Android.

With the help of the info on
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingForAndroid I've made it as far
as building a libgdal file for Android under both RedHat 5 and, with
some pain, WinXP64.

However, what I'm really after are the swig bindings and associated JNI
layer for Java.

Since this particular subject is listed as a "TODO" at the bottom of the
wiki page, my assumption is that this is an active subject of
investigation by one or more people on this list.

I'm using the GDAL trunk build from approximately the beginning of July
2011 and I would prefer to use the recently-released version 6 NDK .

Since the default GNUmakefile doesn't generate them, I've manually
created the libgdaljni.so, libgdalconstjni.so, etc., files using the
arm-linux-androideabi-ld in the toolchain.

However when I execute System.loadLibrary on libgdaljni.so in my Android
activity, I get unresolved reference errors.  Indeed, adding a
-lW,--no-undefined switch shows many issues when creating the .so files
from the swig wrapper objects, which frequently reference std:: calls
made by the format access routines in libgdal.a.

I'm not a g++/c++/makefile/compiler/linker/version guru by any means,
but I'm willing to take a serious stab at resolving the remaining
Android JNI issues if anyone wants to fill me in on the current status
of this investigation and where the known technical hurdles still may
be.

Thanks,

Jim Pendleton