[gdal-dev] [ogr2ogr] KML extendedData attribute

jordicastells at hyds.es jordi.castells at hyds.es
Wed Jul 20 03:55:54 EDT 2011

Greetings!

I've been a gdal user for at least 3 years, and first of all I have to
say that the work done is impressive.

Now I face a little problem involving KML formats, and I don't find the
solution in the mailing lists.

This problem is about KML extendedData tag and its subsequent childs.

I have a KML file saved by google-earth with a group of ExtendedData for
every point. This information
is only available in this KML file. I have no other format with the same
data.

Using ogr2ogr I transform this KML to shapefile or to GML, and all
extendedData data is lost in the new files.

The inverse (Shp to KML or GML to KML) works as expected, retrieving all
the shape attributes and adding it to the extendedData
tag in the KML result.

I tested with gdal 1.6 (Debian Build) and with Tamas Szekeres build for
windows
(http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1310-gdal-1-8-1-mapserver-6-0-1.zip
-- gdal-18-1310-core.msi
<http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/Download.aspx?file=release-1310-gdal-1-8-1-mapserver-6-0-1%5Cgdal-18-1310-core.msi>)

Somebody can point me to a solution? or it's a feature not included in
current GDAL?

Thanks

--
     Jordi Castells Sala