[gdal-dev] Add capability to safely link against an external libtiff (3.X) and a GDAL build with internal libtiff (4.0) support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Jul 23 12:22:39 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
>> PS: Do you think this renaming option could be pushed upstream to
>> libtiff and libgeotiff (maybe not as-is) ?
>> It would save GDAL the burden of maintaining a patch in its internal
>> versions, and it would benefit other projects integrating those libs in
>> their source.
>
> Not sure if the said upstream projects would be interested (*) by such an
> option (it changes their API !), and especially in its current
> "implementation". And I don't know how it could be made cleaner. Anyway, I'm
> afraid I lack the energy/interest to pursue on this myself, so I'll let
> happily anyone interested in it to do it.

Julien,

I'm a bit vague on how the renaming worked but I am not
initially too enthusiastic about incorporating it upstream in
libtiff and libgeotiff.

If you wanted to pursue that, i'd suggest joining the mailing lists,
explaining the proposed changes and we could see if there is
broader interest.

> As far as libtiff is concerned, I personnaly think the most important item is
> to find the magic incantation so it can be finally labelled 4.0.0 and be adopted
> by the large crowds that stay away from something called "beta". Then --with-
> libtiff=internal won't be necessary.

/me sighs.  Yes, I really need to get this done.