[gdal-dev] GML3 wrong result for some kind of fields

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 06:20:38 EDT 2011

Hi,

I notice that the GML driver wrong to understand some kind of field.

for example:

I have this tags:

<element>
  <id>1</id>
  <code>010206</code>
</element>
<element>
  <id>2</id>
  <code>100206</code>
</element>

the GML driver parsing this tags intepret they as integer so in the
shapefile result
they are translate in

id (integer), code (integer)
1, 10206
2, 100206

this is a bad situation for me because the values in code field is a
block-code to fixed lenght (6 characters).
And after the conversion in shapefile is not possible to join with tables
where there is the values (text) 010206, 100206

I see the GML driver create a .gfs field where it has the description of
these fileds,
I could change it, but unfortunately I have many files and to change all the
gfs is a huge work.

I think perhaps a good solution should be to use a config parameter to
overlap the description in the gfs files.
So I could manually write a GFS file usable for all the files GML I need to
translate in shapefile/postgis.

But I don't know if the gfs file do something else or only the description
of every field.

thx,

--
Andrea Peri