[gdal-dev] gdal_translate: set the CRS makes the output 10 times bigger

Andrés Maneiro amaneiro at icarto.es
Thu Jun 2 14:00:15 EDT 2011

Hello devs,

I'm playing with GDAL to set the CRS of a set of geotiff files I was
given to upload them to geoserver later.

These files, were generated using ArcGIS and it seems that the CRS set
in the geotiff file header is not standar (at least, my geoserver
doesn't recognize them). What I did:

  gdal_translate -a_srs "EPSG:23029" original.tif output.tif

After doing that, the size of the output is 5/10 times bigger than input
(in some cases: from 10Mb to almost 110Mb). The only thing I see as
different -using gdalinfo on both files- is the "Color Table". The
former has 2 entries and the output has 256. Don't know if it's the
source of the problem, just let you know in case it is useful.

So, my question is: how could I generate an output file, with CRS set
and with roughly the same size of the original?

best,
amaneiro