[gdal-dev] gdal_translate and gdal_warp

Mike Willis willismi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:13:32 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

Multipart question

I am using gdal_translate to pull out files from JPEG2000 files
wrapped by an NTF wrapper.

It seems fine, but I am losing all metadata and no headers are built
when I do this.
I can get readable ENVI files or Geotiffs but they're often flipped
back to front, or oriented north-south, losing any of their
georeferenced information.
Does anyone have an idea about how I can bring the metadata with them?

I have tried giving them gcps from metadata that I can read myself
from an Ascii file. I use gdal_translate with the -gcp options.
I then run gdalwarp. The images rotate to what looks to be perfect
orientation, however the images become all "checkerboard" and
lose all of their continuous toning. I wonder if its something to do
with the bit depth.
The files I am working on are raw geoeye full resolution panchromatic images.

I have tried nearest neighbour, and bicubic as the gdalwarp resampling
methods but have not succeeded in getting anything useable.

Any other suggestions? The files are Gb in size.

We have the RPCs and full metadata for each of the files.

Cheers

Mike Willis

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences