[gdal-dev] Building Overviews for Tiles of Large images

Cole, Derek dcole at integrity-apps.com
Wed Jun 15 14:20:20 EDT 2011

Bringing this back up, as I am curious. I have started playing around with using RasterIO and providing smaller output buffers for the read-in data, thus making GDAL do the downsampling (which apparently is nearest neighbor type?). Do you think this is faster than creating Overview imagery, which would also have to be read from disk? It seems like with overview imagery, at runtime you might be faster, since it physically reads less data, but you'd have to take a hit somewhere actually creating the overviews, right?

Currently, I am reading in a full-size displayed version of the image, and if a user zooms out, make another read into a fraction of the buffer size to get the downsampled version of the tile.

Thanks

Derek