[gdal-dev] JAXAPalsar 1.0 & 1.1 extended metadata reading support

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Sat Jun 18 12:59:36 EDT 2011

Hi Frank,

Il 18/06/2011 14:38, Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
> On 11-06-18 02:59 AM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
>> I don't know if someone is currently working on the JAXAPalsar driver.
>> Anyway I' very interested in extending driver for SAR products to get
>> more metadata so I would be happy to help if you need.
>
> Folks,
>
> Phil Vachon did most of the JAXA Palsar work but has moved on to
> non-geospatial pursuits, so anyone interested should feel free to
> dig in.
>
>> Palsar products are in CEOS format so IMHO it would be nice to setup a
>> general mechanism to decode CEOS records (a similar job has been done
>> for ENVISAT records recently)
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4105
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/attachment/ticket/4105/asar_metadata.patch
>>
>> The hard part (it is a very boring job) IMHO is to fill data structures
>> that properly describe CEOS records for each sensor end product type.
>>
>> Anyway populating record descriptors is a job that can be done gradually
>> and, hopefully, with the help of other users so we could start with the
>> few metadata you are currently interested in and add other record
>> descriptors later.
>>
>> The key is to setup a genereal (enough) framework for CEOS record
>> decoding.
>
> There is already a generic SAR CEOS driver (gdal/frmts/ceos2) with a CEOS
> record parsing mechanism.  If that is what you want, please start from it.
> For reasons not immediately obvious to me Phil chose to build a specific
> JAXA Palsar driver but please think twice before building it out into a
> full
> generic CEOS driver duplicating what already exists.

Thank you Frank.
My basic idea was to propose an improvement of the ceos2 driver but I
completely missed GetCeosField function. Sorry.
Looking better to the code it seems that all tools for record decoding
are already there, as you pointed out, so it is just a matter of getting
more metadata.

Regarding the JAXAPalsar driver, it is currently registered *after* the
ceos2 driver so, if my understanding is correct, CEOS products should be
opened with ceos2 and the JAXAPalsar should be used as a fallback.

Is it correct?

Any way I'm currently downloading some sample PALSAR product to see what
happens.

Best regards

--
Antonio Valentino