[gdal-dev] Problem Compiling with Oracle (--with-oci)

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Tue Jun 21 15:02:03 EDT 2011

Ivan I appreciate your help here, but I think I've already tried
everything you are suggesting. I dont' have an ORACLE_HOME set on the
user doing this compiling, so if I don't specify --with-oci=... I don't
get oracle support. I do have expat 1.95 installed (with -devel package
as well) and it is automatically picked up by configure.

I can build gdal successfully with no configure options, it builds with
expat support among other defaults.

If I specify --with-oci, I get the error about the funny libexpat path,
if I add --with-expat=no, I get past that error, but get an error later
when it can't find the XML_* symbols that the oracle library needs to be
linked to. In neither of these cases to i get a working version of
gdalinfo built.

It seems to me that I need to link in expat for the oracle library, but
I'm not sure if it is compatible with the 1.95 version the my system has
installed and that GDAL requires if I specify --with-expat  ... because
there is an libexpat.so.0.5 in the oracle lib directory. Since I don't
actually need GDAL's expat support, I'm fine with --with-expat=no ...
but then I need to somehow tell libtool to ignore the funny expat path
it is finding and use the expat in the oracle directory... perhaps the
best way to do this is just to copy the libtool command that is failing
in the build and tweak it manually to have the right path to the oracle
expat instead of the funny path... however I won't be able to get to the
next step of the build to see what other commands I need to run... is
there a way to modify the makefile or tell configure about this?

Thanks,
Chris