[gdal-dev] zmap format

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Jun 27 13:33:33 EDT 2011

Nikolaos,

> There is a format called zmap format and it has Zmap Plus grid
> does anybody know more info about this format?

Well, here's a few interesting links what I've found with the help of a search
engine :
* http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr-03-230/DATA/ : several datasets in zmap
format (.dat) and also the same datasets but in other formats that are already
recognized by GDAL, such as .gxf, .ers, .xyz and .tif  --> Very useful to
check that a decoder for zmap works
* http://lists.directionsmag.com/discussion/read.php?f=19&i=30467&t=30467&v=t
: contains some bits of zmap content similar to the one of the previous link
* http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=13093 : import/export zmap
plugin for ArcGrid with source code in visual basic

> mostly it is used for DEM and petroleum and according to my
> opinion it is descried by a rectangular kind of cells but it might not,
> that's why I am asking for some reference for zmap format and
> of course if it is possible to be adopted by gdal :)

Although none of those links is a formal specification of the format, that
should be sufficient for someone to write a decoder. But I'm not sure to
understand your needs: do you have some zmap datasets that you need to read
with GDAL ?

Best regards,

Even