[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.8.1 Advance Warning

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Tue Jun 28 15:32:01 EDT 2011

Frank

a functionality that I would find useful in combination with clients
like ArcGIS or Erdas are the Erdas overviews in *.rrd files. When
creating overviews with gdaladdo using the "--config USE_RRD YES"
option, aux files instead of rrd files are created. They are not fully
recognized by ArcGis/Erdas, depending on the image format.

For me an ideal solution would therefore be being able to create
overviews in standard rrd files (I guess the format is not much
different from the one used for the overviews in aux files) and the
possibility to create standard Erdas aux files that contain only
information like the histogram, but no overviews. Looks to me like the
creation of HFA formats supports that already.

Clients like Erdas and ArcGis use and create the aux file for any type
of image, also for Tiff or ECW files when applying image stretching.
Having the possibility to create such aux files with a command line tool
for various image formats could be useful in an image archive where
clients do not have write access and cannot create neither rrd nor aux
files. And the creation could then be automated and performed eg. on a
server, and it could also be much faster than clients like ArcGis
calculating the histograms.

Just my ideas.

Greetings
Armin