[gdal-dev] Geometry as EWKB (PostGIS)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Jun 29 15:56:37 EDT 2011

Hi all (Evan!):

In my FGDB project, the participants compared a file I generated with
FGDB>PostGIS>FGDB and noticed that the coordinates had drifted a
little in some cases. Turns out, the PostGIS OGR driver using WKT as
the transit format, so that's allowing occasional coordinate drift.
I'd like to write up an EWKB encoder for OGR geometries (or maybe add
an option to the current encoder to generate EWKB?). Could you
recommend whether I should do another big utility method like the
shapeBuffer code, or a method on the OGRGeometry? whether you prefer
an alteration to existing WKB writer or a separate code path?

I want to avoid what happened last time, having to re-jig the whole
thing at the end.

Paul